I swapped Cobbler with ProRides Strada Bianchi 1 into my schedule today; it seemed the most similar, but really I just wanted to see how it was compared to Norway, which I loved.
In short: Amazing, but it did drag on after a while. It could have been the fatigue, it could have been the lack of nutrition, but I think part of it is that I appreciate the difficulty it is to get footage that tells a story. Maybe the other Pro Rides tell better stories - I don’t know yet. Some thoughts below…
- The plot here seems to be breakaway, until the big GC guys catch you. I loved the big MAP section when you hear the peloton is 1 minute behind - it gave me a reason to emotionally invest into the push. But until then, I’m just kind of riding. I love that - but after an hour, it gets same-y.
- Love the surges, love the freewheeling
- Love hearing the brakes squealing, great touch of reality
- Love seeing Tosh’s power/cadence pop up from time to time
- Loved the intro, it felt “pro”, set me up for a great, positive experience. I’m like "woah, what have I signed up to here?’
- Would like to have seen more of a sense of what was happening in the race - I think it was Simone Patelli? He was pointed out … then we caught him later… that was a nice touch. maybe more “I’m gonna catch you in 20 minutes” ?
- I find myself looking for rest spots - I’m trying to “interval-ize” the session - going "yeah this looks like a 3 minute-ish MAP bit, this is an AC spike, but then I can recover. Was kind of surprised how little rest there was… damn was I was cooked by the end.
- The tags were brilliant - 'cooked" “grab a bottle” - these were great in the second-half, when the novelty starts to wear thin as the fatigue rises. Would like to see more of these
I felt a little bummed out having all the big name pro’s catch me, it happens kind of unexpectedly - I’m toast, and here they are flying past me. Poor Tosh. I think there’s an opportunity to add some inspiration at this point. I don’t think Sufferfest branding enters ProRides, which is unfortunate, because you could have some fun here e.g. “DS: here comes the pack of laser goats”, but maybe going forward, more support in the second half of a long session would be my feedback.
Overall though - if you added 10 more rides - in different parts of the world - I’d be pretty happy. Killer stuff.