Official Thread: Norway is Live -- what do you think?

Sorry to say but the only thing I “suffered” was boredom and a sore hand from the gear changes. It’s not a session I can see myself repeating. There’s no humour, and it’s not even particularly immersive as you spend so much time hopping between gears you cannot watch anything. Plus - nobody races like that, whatever the power data says. At least the data does not capture how you try to maintain momentum/draft etc on the road and it fails to translate it back into a solid turbo/rollers session.

Also, an action film in Norway without The Sun Always Shines on TV on the soundtrack? What were they thinking?

3 Likes

Stage 5 in the books!! Very immersive for sure, the power changes were a challenge in the beginning until I got the right gear and could manage the majority of the changes just by varying the cadence. I did find myself riding at a higher power target occasionally just because it was easier than slowing down or shifting :grinning:. The “alle, alle, alle” really did make me go, go, go!! Loved the cues!

2 Likes

First time in Norway. A strange experience. I don’t have an erg mode so I set my wattbike to a level and just changed the cadence. The changes happened frequently enough for me to spend the hour just looking at the power target. I barely looked at the video.
I didn’t bother dropping power down too far when the targets allowed because it usually meant I would have to ramp it up again shortly afterwards. Consequently, I set my 1 hour power record on day 5 of TOS without paying much attention to how I was feeling.
I would guess this ride would be properly immersive if you have erg mode. If you don’t you will instead be immersed in watching numbers.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Can I ask you what trainer/setup you’re using as obviously riding this on Level mode is a little challenging.

1 Like

Hi there, I’m using cycleops rollers. I have a powertap hub on my training bike. I try to be honest about my experience with the sessions and I have used SUF since the days of downloading videos and perceived exertion. Obviously sessions like violator are challenging on rollers. But I can see the point of them and understand the benefit. Norway seems like a mess to me. There’s no structure (even FC has a sort of structure that targets specific areas) whereas I don’t see what Norway offers for an hour of staring at a screen. It cannot be a race simulation as you are not racing anyone and SUF should leave that type of thing to Zwift as it does it much better. For what’s it worth I dislike Zwift because there is no structure and it’s already full of social media-style toxicity. I use SUF mainly to prepare for the road and I want sessions that produce quantifiable gains. And also, a humourless SUF is a AVDP…

2 Likes

I did it today and I really enjoyed it (Stage 5 with 100%) today. I love the chaotic power output. I rode it with a nearly steady cadence between 95 and 105/min, so that my Tacx Neo could handle the quick power changes.
No sound → great
No music → great… Just my own music (Progressive Trance by DJ Stigma)
Compared to all the HIIT sessions in Sufferlandria Norway is a nice add-on

1 Like

I loved the Norway segment! My favorite, really felt “engaged” Thanks

2 Likes

I had a different, but brutal, experience.

Somewhere in there, I inadvertently touched one of the “level” thumb buttons on my Kickr Bike (Man, those things are sensitive!). I was too cognitively degraded to notice by then, so I spent the last half or so of the workout RPM-ing like mad to hit the power targets. I set RPM records and wound up totally clobbering myself.

Usually, when I touch one of those buttons, I quickly perceive the disparity between target RPM and power and switch right back into ERG mode. Without RPM targets, I didn’t have that prompt. Might it be possible to make the icon telling the rider which mode s/he’s in more noticeable, or add some kind of “Hey, you just switched into Level Mode. Did you mean to do that?” message?

1 Like

Beginner viewpoint here.

I’m not sure I cared for it. I’m new and not a fan of racing or sports documentaries. As a beginner, my power targets are still pretty low and I found the lack of cadence targets confusing, especially doing it in focused mode for TOS. I have a KICKR ‘14 and it kept up fine in erg mode but I couldn’t figure out whether my cadence was affecting speed or not with all the fast changes. And that meant I wasn’t sure whether to stay steady and fast or go low cadence like in GOAT to make the hills feel like hills. I liked the drink reminders.

I really missed the snarky humor. If this is the future of Sufferfest, I’d be disappointed because it’s too like a sport documentary for me.

7 Likes

I found it was a lot of fun. Following the instructions, I picked a target cadence of 100 (actual avg was 99!) and turned the volume on my speaker all the way up. I look forward to doing this again some day.

2 Likes

So saved it for the TOS and I’ve just done it on rollers. Took a lot of effort to try to match the power targets and I was often out but some margin over cooking and then not dropping enough before spinning back up. The really big changes aren’t quick and some of them kinda level out a bit.

I found that I was concentrating so much on the power number watching out for the changes wasn’t really watching the rest of the screen.

All in all it, wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be and not having music didn’t bother me that much. That said I won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t feature in my next training plan.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Fair enough. Understand where you come from and fact it’s not an easy session fro rollers. I guess you’re still happy with the classic SUF sessions and we will still be making those in the future.

1 Like

Broadcasting live from Hobart in 30 minutes! https://youtu.be/uSjs2Hho3Eg
Join in and decide who eats the herring!!!

3 Likes

Help us improve Norway by filling out this anonymous survey: https://forms.gle/vSkVpk46i6N1CKhE9

2 Likes

It was nice to watch you suffer, as I did earlier in the day. :wink:

Interesting, you chose to storm up the hill. I took the GOAT approach of low cadence.

@David.McQuillen.KoS I have heard that herring is a great recovery food!

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. It might be another revenue stream for Wahoo – recovery drink tested in Norway.

1 Like

I’m in the ‘it was ok but not as good as classic SUF’ camp. I use a dumb trainer with power meter and, as others have said, spent most of my time watching power numbers not the race itself. I’m lucky enough to race in real life, and often use ‘racing as training’, so I don’t need this workout experience. The rapid and massive changes in power in no way replicate real racing. And I miss the story and the humour. I see what you are trying to do but no need to try emulate Zwift, Sufferfest has everything I need.

3 Likes

Survey submitted. You’ll be able to tell which was mine, as my comments there mirror my comments here. I’m happy to answer follow-up questions, should you so desire.

1 Like

Better the second time around. :facepunch:

2 Likes