Kettlebell S&S with SUF

Good idea. I’ve been struggling with incorporating my own strength training (which predates Suf training). Your approach sounds much better than “load a plan and then move stuff around all the time.”

1 Like

They only put in strength 2 days a week tho, so you will still need to adapt things somewhat, but it makes it easier

1 Like

I’m new here and new to indoor (and outdoor) cycling, but I have been using KB swings to train for a while now. Not in a structured way and I hadn’t heard about S&S. I’ve been doing 100 swings (10 X 10) while watching Netflix :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. After reading this thread I just ordered the book on my Kindle.

5 Likes

I don’t often get out of Z1 (which also explains why you are you, and I am me, in terms of capability lol). Suspect I take too long between ‘sets’ but hey ho.
The KB swings do raise things a bit in between squat sets to keep the ‘system moving’ but not by much. You just encourage me to check my Apple Watch from yesterday and I do see five spikes in to Z2 which are presumably the lagging spikes from KB swing sets.

Must try harder :slight_smile:

1 Like

Muscle memory lasts more than a week off.

You’ll be good.

1 Like

Yeah, duration under weight will get shorter as the weight goes up.

1 Like

I will switch to S&S 2-3x a week as upkeep only during race season and will likely drop weight down but shorten breaks in between. I can do 10TGU in 5 min @ 32kg and HR gets mid to high Z4/low z5

1 Like

Lift heavy :poop: every day.

TGU no rest 28kg…

Don’t forget to level up!

You all should be getting stronger by now.

Nothing makes the current weight feel light like the next weight!

3 Likes

Good heavens that’s big! I’m still working up to 12 Kg from 8, maybe by this time next year…

Progress is progress!

Keep it up!

I was rehabbing my shoulder when I started. 15 lbs, and it didn’t feel good. That was almost 4 months ago now.

Swing the 80 2 handed today. May try a few sets of singles next week.

TGU will have to be start of the week fresh with that weight. Not fearing it, just respecting the heck out of it.

Go at your pace. That’s what’s important. Build as you can. Make sure your form is rock solid. The heavier you go the less margin for error.

Maybe I should start a new forum topic called strongman logs of Sufferlandria :rofl:

2 Likes

I ended up taking over a month off from everything except for riding my bike for fun.

The gain game reset starts Monday

Great thread here Alexander, a little late to the party myself but I was excited to read the S&S in the title and knew I had to jump in and catch up. I’ve been training primarily with kettlebells for almost 12 years, and went through the RKC in 2009 before Pavel and DuCane split up. You are spot on in feeling an immediate benefit with your riding, especially compared to powerlifting. The explosive hip hinge and pace of a swing mirrors the hip hinge of a pedal stroke almost exactly (we don’t lock the knees on the bike), and in my opinion is the most effective weight training tool for cycling.

I see in your profile pic that you mtn bike. So do I, and for years the interval based workouts associated with KB’s melded perfectly with the punchy nature of trails. I always thought I had a solid FTP (big strong guy, fast on the bike), so imagine my surprise when after finishing a Full Monty I was labeled an attacker with dismal FTP and MAP but solid AC and NM. In retrospect it made sense considering the way I train. So keep that in mind.

The hip hinges used in KB cleans, snatches, and half snatches also follow the same movement pattern, but the slower pace doesn’t benefit the bike quite as well. Like you, before kettlebells I built my workouts in body part splits and was powerlifting/bodybuilding based. I’ve been riding for 25 years as well, so it was always a challenge to bring together my loves of riding and lifting. Now, they are movement based (push/pull/hinge/squat) and quite minimal by comparison.

I wanted to reach out and suggest some resources for you and everyone here.

First, replace the interlocking fitness floor mats you have with some horse stall mats. You can get them in 3’x4’ or 4’x6’ sizes and 1/2" or 3/4" thick. They last years and will protect whatever is underneath. Also cheaper for the most part. Currently I have them indoors protecting wood floors under KB’s up to 56kg. In my previous home I had my gym in the garage, and between myself or clients they protected the concrete from deadlifts with steel plates up to about 400lbs.
(I still love a good trap bar deadlift, but I’m beyond chasing big singles. I do see a benefit to being able to lift one’s bodyweight for reps, from a general health perspective.)

Resources:
“Kettlebells from the Ground Up: The Kalos Sthenos” 2008 book by Dr. Mark Cheng, DVD by Gray Cook and Brett Jones. This is the best tutorial on the TGU I have ever found. Brett is a great teacher and Gray knows his stuff.

“Kettlebell Basics for Strength Coaches and Personal Trainers” 2005 by Brett Jones and Michael Castrogiovanni" DVD. Another great teaching tutorial that really breaks down the basics of form on all the lifts. IMO still missing some of the keys to teaching the snatch effectively. I believe you can find this on Perform Better’s website performbetter.com.

“Kettlebells for Power Athletes” 2009 DVD by Jeff O’Connor and Brett Jones. Probably more detailed than the normal user needs, but looking at your lifting history and your log, you may enjoy this one Alexander. This DVD and the one above may be hard to find. I think I bought them from Perform Better, but Dragon Door may have them as well. Or Amazon.

“10,000 Swing Challenge” by Dan John. You’ll find the original article on t-nation.com. Dan is an excellent teacher and a master in minimalist training. One of my core workouts done almost weekly is a derivative of the workouts in this program. I can give workout examples if people are interested. Also, his book “Never Let Go” is a must read.

Edit: I’d be remiss if I didn’t include “Enter the Kettlebell!” by Pavel. It was the first, and for many American KB users was their introduction to this round ball of iron with a handle. Again, not the best instructional tutorial, and the DVD is almost laughable with it’s Cold War undertones. It’s like he’s sitting on the set of Rambo or Red Dawn. But a must have for users interested in where it all started here in the US.

There are millions of kb fitness people to follow on social media, most are crap. Here are two of my favorites:

Joe Daniels - he has a YouTube channel and puts out great content on IG (swingthiskettlebell). Joe is an expert in both “hardstyle” and “GS” (sport style) and does a good job explaining benefits of each. Also a mtn biker somewhere here in Sufferfest/Systm. And stupidly strong.

Levi Markwardt (leviarsl on IG) - I’ve used a lot of his workout framework as a basis for my own programs. Levi is RKC and SF, and while he started off as “hardstyle” he now competes in GS and has a hybrid movement pattern. He doesn’t teach as much, but his raw strength is awesome inspiration.

Like many people, I discovered KB’s through Pavel. But there are many gaps in his instruction of the TGU and snatch, as you all have found. In the beginning, I thought hardstyle was the only way, but my personal style has melded into a hybrid of hardstyle and GS, depending on what I’m doing and what I have learned. Two hand swing = hardstyle. Single arm swing = more GS, and down the line. For snatch and half snatch, GS is the way to go.

I hope this information is helpful, I can add workouts later if people are interested.

Tim

4 Likes

I’m going to read through this shortly ….

But 56kg kettlebells??

Do they come with a forklift truck :slight_smile:
:muscle::muscle:

1 Like

Haha, at my old house I had them up to 92kg, and yes, they are delivered with a lift gate truck on a pallet with a forklift. :joy:

3 Likes