Dialing in Strade Bianchi

Just did Strade Bianchi ProRide for the second time. I love this ride.

Like the first time, at around 35 minutes I was thinking, “I might bump the intensity…”
At 1 hour & 5 it was, “Thank god for that that freewheel section”
Starting around 1 hour 20, “I might die” :grin:

I tried to do some of the earlier efforts at a low cadence (60-70) to get some climbing work in, but found that I could not hit the power targets at those cadences. I had to be in the 90s. I was in the small ring up front, biggest cog in the back - as suggested here - and wonder if there just wasn’t enough resistance in that gearing (I’m too lazy to check my gear ratio, but I do have a compact up front).
For context my FTP is only 205, so I’m not too beast for this ride :grin:, and my trainer is a 4 year old Wahoo Snap (wheel-on).
So I’m thinking next time I may move back to the middle of the rear cog and see if that allows me to grind some of the climbs. I wonder how this will affect my hitting the power targets during the many quick-change segments. For nearly all of the shorter efforts I was only hitting the power targets as they ended.

Also, I did not fall into the “spiral of death” on this ride, even though I fully soft-pedaled several of the last efforts. Are the ProRides somehow different in that they let you get away with this? Maybe the lack of a linked cadence target? Whatever the reason, I was pretty happy to be able to sit out a couple sections.

Anyway, love this ride. Can’t wait to do more of them.

3 Likes

I did also Strade Bianche Proride this morning, as asked in my plan.
It was also the first Proride for me, the principle is really fun, that’s what we could really call a simulation !
This ride really exhausted me, reaching a very high heart bpm. I found it even tougher than the Full Frontal test :hot_face:
Fortunately the second ride planned “in a row” was easier. I hope I could manage tomorrow’s workout, 18x10s sprints in a 3h15 ride…

I appreciate that next week will be a recovery week !

1 Like