Best strength training for improving sprints?

After listening to The Knowledge episode on strength training I’d like to see if it could help improve my wimpy sprinting. But which focus would be best? Dynamic, lower body? Are there any particular exercises that would be especially helpful? In case it matters, I’m a short skinny climber type, mid-50s, female, and I already do yoga in addition to cycling workouts (mostly the NM, AC and MAP focused ones).

1 Like

@sef527 So you are asking how to make your already fantastic sprint even better? All of the strength videos will help - definitely leg strength exercises like single leg squats but also core and all body exercises are going help as well since you really need to be able to stabilize your body to deliver power efficiently and effectively. Outside of strength check out drill videos like standing starts and cadence builds which will help build up your fast twitch fibers. Finally, the race videos can help as they put you in situations where you need to generate power rapidly over threshold for short periods. If you are on one of the general plans with strength you probably have a lot of this baked into your calendar already. Keep notes after each workout on how you felt and what can be done better next time. You will definitely get there!

1 Like

power cleans, snatch balance (aka squat balance)

1 Like

Core strength and stability is the secret sauce.

Exercises where you use one leg at a time - hingeing the knee and hip joints.
Or in a gym - squats, leg press leg extensions. Some Hamstring curls too to even things out.
If you want to build muscle you might need to eat a bit more and/or time cycling so as not to detract from myscle gains. Not all cyclists want to do that.
And don’t forget a strong core to stabilise. Good luck!

HI @sef527! @JSampson provided excellent advice that I agree with- and to reiterate specifically to the strength videos on SYSTM, would it be possible to do 1 lower body, 1 core, and 1 dynamic per week with your current program? If you are using a Wahoo plan, you can add the strength training for a comprehensive program that you do not have to design yourself!

1 Like

Thank you @coach.jinger.g and everybody else for the great advice! I could definitely add in 2-3 of these videos per week. I’ve done a couple already and see how they could be helpful.

1 Like