Android update please?

Hi all, first post and from what I’ve seen, a repeated request… Any idea when we will be able to use SUF on Android
Purchase of my smart trainer is on hold until such time there’s some concrete news.
Many thanks

2 Likes

Hey David,
Thanks for the inquiry, this thread has the most recent update on Android:

Many thanks, although an estimated date would be nice just to give us an idea of what time scale we’re looking at :+1:

As a beta tester I have to be careful with what I say, but…

I would suggest that the Android aspect of it is pretty much good to go, it works really well and is a big step up on the previous mobile experience.
However, as David mentions in the linked article above, the new Android experience is tied to a completely new platform release and given that fact, there is a lot for them to check through.
I’ve definitely seen software released in a far worse state than the beta is currently in (which is very good IMO), but I can understand that as this is essentially a complete platform re-launch they want to make sure everything is as good as possible.

For the people waiting for platform support I can understand this is a hugely frustrating wait, but believe me (in my opinion) you will be getting a far better platform once they hit the release button, on Android and everywhere else, than if they’d simply focused on making Android work on the current platform.

4 Likes

Many thanks Jon, I’ll get my smart trainer ordered asap​:+1::+1::+1:

I have to say, that overall, I have been pretty disappointed with sufferfest as an application. I had numerous issue with the elite trainer which were never resolved. We have seen no significant updates or platform updates in what feels like a long long time. We keep getting promised android support/significant updates but nothing has materialised so far. Meanwhile competitors are introducing some fairly compelling new features.

5 Likes

Unfortunately I have to agree with gmlachi. I am not a pro or near that level, but I want to take care of my fitness level and I also want to have some fun when performing boring tasks like sitting on an indoor traininer. Consequently I bought a Kickr Bike for having a hill climbing simulation, but this is not provided by Sufferfest on my Windows PC.

To make a long story short: I really would like to see some progress on the app front, be it Windows or Android (I am not using macOS or iOS systems), to have the full benefit of my inestment in my Wahoo Kickr Bike. I red about the Beta and applied for it, but got no answer and I am really waiting for a substantial announcement on when to expect what from Sufferfest on what platform.

4 Likes

“I bought a Kickr Bike for having a hill climbing simulation, but this is not provided by Sufferfest on my Windows PC”

Could you clarify what you mean by this?
The Windows application does support the climb functionality for gradient, I use it myself. If that is not working for you on your Kickr Bike then there is a setup/technical issue which can probably be resolved.
If you’re talking about explicit hill-climbing experiences, that doesn’t really tally with what the Sufferfest training sessions are (but something like G.O.A.T will still give you an approximation).

1 Like

I think what you are looking for is zwift or fulgaz or anything like that.
The core of Sufferfest is not to simulate riding but to provide structured workouts (mostly best used in erg mode) with built in entertainment
While I would kill for a kickr bike… no need for one in suf

I’m not sure I agree, you just have to understand the difference. I have a Climb unit with a Kickr and I definitely appreciate it in the rides with gradients built in, it forces you into different positions on the bike and to work different muscles. The point is, it’s an extension of the workout, not a “ride simulation” within Suf.
For me, having the Climb in Sufferfest is worth it, but it’s an extension of the workout, not a simulation.

I totally agree with your comment.

But I do think it’s a little strange. Wahoo has bought SUF but some of wahoo’s most premium products don’t seem to work best on the platform.

Climb and kickr bike.

Would be such an easy thing to do as my wahoo bolt can simulate gradients. But does not appear to be at the core of what SUF is.

I do feel that will change over time if platforms like zwift continue to grow at a faster rate that SUF.

G.O.A.T with a Kickr Bike is a very different experience than G.O.A.T on a trainer that does not simulate gradients.

I did G.O.A.T today for the fourth time, but the first time with a Kickr Bike. It was the first time I had to struggle with the low cadences.

1 Like

I have a climb and gradients work well with it. I would check with the minions if you are having issues with it not working.

You do need to be in ERG mode, slope also known as level mode raises the climb to the specified gradient. Level 4 is a 4% gradient for example.

Just dipped in to see what has happened as I let my membership lapse in February and have been using Zwift. Noting is the answer and yes I know that the invited says something is in the works but it has been in the works Since I joined sufferfest 2 winters ago - including the android app.
Glacial is the word.

1 Like

The android app is in beta. That’s public knowledge but not ready for release.

2 Likes

@Tnp I suggest searching for Android in the forum as there has been a lot of feedback from the testers. Here is one post noting what is happening and it seems very positive.

From what I have read, basically the Android piece is done but the platform is being relaunched in its entirety. So perhaps do a couple of rounds of Nine Hammers while you wait.

3 Likes

Thanks Jon! Yes we can’t say much but it IS AWESOME!!!

4 Likes

I will quote here what i said back in March in another thread:

1 Like

As a beta tester I can’t say much, But I do workouts often with my Android phone. The app The minions are building is awesome. Wait for it.

3 Likes

As a beta tester, I cannot say much, :shushing_face: … but I am not an android user, and there are lots of amazingly good things coming to all, not “just” android.

2 Likes